[Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri May 21 12:21:42 PDT 2004

> BREAD: Posters had mixed recommendations, some said yes, some seemed
> to say no. At a War Collegium a number of fighters did want bread, so
> we'll include it, and definitely pre-sliced.

Non-fighters always want it. If you have the staff, buy it in whole loaves
and slice as needed-- people love this.

> PIES: I figure we'll make a bunch of savory pies - i've got one of
> those things that cuts a whole round pie into eight slices at once,
> although for this setting, baking in a big rectangle and cutting
> squares might be better. I don't think we'll be making individual
> pasties though. But the "fighter biscuits" might be good.

One-person items hold together better, so I would recommend small pasties,
or bread dough wrapped around a filling, such as sausage, mushrooms or
onions, to make rolls that are fist-sized or smaller. Whole pies cut up
just don't hold together well enough to be 'quick/easy' in my experience.

You can also buy cheezy bread, either bread with cheese mixed in or topped
with italian spices and cheese, premade, and slice it up.

> FRUIT: Is it better to have whole apples and pears or to halve or
> slice them? If slices - how small or large?

I would tend to avoid apples and pears. They don't get a lot of takers.
Stone fruit (plums, apricots, peaches) go better, and berries better
still. Cut up melons are appreciated also, as long as the slices are
rather small.

> HARD COOKED EGGS would be peeled ahead of time. I think it's really
> too much to ask the fighters to peel them.

The trouble with peeled hard cooled eggs is a) they quickly get unsanitary
and b) they take forever to peel.

> In some message people suggested carrying around trays of stuff
> (pickles, orange wedges, olives...) to resurrection points.

This works very well.

> >Roasted chicken is wonderful if it is off the bone. In fact, pretty much
> >any
> >kind of roasted meat is welcome if there are no bones or sticks or
> >whatever.
> >Just grab some and go. No sauces or stickiness, please.
>
> We're going to have a clear broth, probably homemade chicken soup. So
> we'll have the meat left over, off the bone.

Point: in the East, at least, fighters won't take soup. Even when it's
somewhat chilly.

> those big cans of, what was it ? College Inn ? Chicken Soup from some
> time in my checkered past... No, no, don't cringe, we'll be making
> our own.

A compromise would be Mrs. Grass' Chicken Noodle.

> Then someone recommended sekanjabin and someone else recommended
> sweetened orange juice... I gather there are mixed feelings about
> acidy stuff...

We've had good luck with both sekanjabin and ginger syrup drinks, as well
as lemonade. I would stay away from full-strength or near-full-strength
juices because of possible repeating.. but the bhoys and grrls do drink
the other drinks which are less acid.

> >I don't recommend spicy foods like summer sausage or pepperoni.
> Why not? I was imagining some nice garlicy dry salami. That's a bad idea?

I am reliably informed that having food repeat on you while wearing a helm
is unpleasant. Except of course for jerky. (Don't ask.. I don't know. I
think of dried beef as an ingredient, myself.)

> But i don't quite understand the taping the knives to the bowls. If
> they're taped to the bowls, how can they be used?

String.

> >Is this food at a dayboard or food that is handed out? Sorry, I missed the
> >original posting.
>
> Well, uh, we have no experience with this. I just assumed we'd have a
> food station near the water bearers station, so folks could wander
> over and grab stuff. I still haven't heard a thing from kingdom
> fighters. Our kingdom list is having a discussion about the size and
> location of Alaska, partly based on how it's shown on maps. More
> important, i guess, than feeding fighters.

You're lucky. In my kingdom..... nevermind...

> Well, we were thinking of doing both. We could have fighter
> refreshments out during the fighting, with some noshes for the
> others, and put more food out as the fighting winds down, so fighters
> could have some real food.

Yes. Defend the protein with your life, or the fighters will complain
bitterly and call you nasty names. *sigh*

Beef and pickles and oranges. That's what they want when they come off the
field. But if someone else got beef and they didn't... *shakes head*

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"In most communities it is illegal to cry .fire. in a crowded assembly.
Should it not be considered serious international misconduct to
manufacture a general war scare in an effort to achieve local political
aims?" -- Dwight D. Eisenhower