[Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri May 21 12:54:35 PDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> OK, i'm concatenating several messages - from Petru, Phlip, and Gunthar
>
> -----
> BREAD: Posters had mixed recommendations, some said yes, some seemed
> to say no. At a War Collegium a number of fighters did want bread, so
> we'll include it, and definitely pre-sliced.

If you're going to be feeding non-fighters, bread with spreadables is just
fine. Tether your spreading utensils, as Phlip said.

> FRUIT: Is it better to have whole apples and pears or to halve or
> slice them? If slices - how small or large?

Definitely cut them (and then a quick dip in acidulated water to prevent
browning). Eights ought to be ok--I'd use a standard apple cutter thingy.
Orange wedges tend to be mostly popular with the fighters.

> Then someone recommended sekanjabin and someone else recommended
> sweetened orange juice... I gather there are mixed feelings about
> acidy stuff...

A little bit of acid is good to clear the mucus from your throat. A lot of
acid is icky. I liked water with lemon juice in it when I was fighting,
but I also used to drink it straight from the bottle in the fridge, so I
might be an anomaly there.

> >I don't recommend spicy foods like summer sausage or pepperoni.
>
> Why not? I was imagining some nice garlicy dry salami. That's a bad idea?

For afters, protein is good. For before and during, it's too hard to
digest. It's the hugely fatty stuff that you want to avoid for the
fighters. For everybody else, summer sausage is just fine.

The NS waterbearers usually provide pickles, oranges, sometimes pretzels,
once or twice animal crackers, and wet towels. Some of the fighters like
to drink the pickle juice. The comments made about the spicy pickles
suggest that spicy pickles during fighting are less than optimal. The
waterbearers ate those. :-)

Basically, fat and protein are harder to digest than carbohydrates, so
fighters usually stick to carbs unless there happens to be Calontir jerky
wandering around. At least in my experience. Papa's jog-in-place test is a
good measure of how well something will go over.

The Calontir Soup Kitchen serves chicken soup (of the packaged variety, as
I understand) and it is always well received even in Missouri in June when
it's 95F and humid, but I don't think the fighters consume it while
fighting unless it's just broth.

Margaret