[Sca-cooks] Fish equivalents?

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 21 19:48:21 PDT 2004

Greetings from Thomas Longshanks,

Luce is pickerel, a freshwater predatory game fish related to Pike. Flaky
white flesh, moderately firm texture, slightly sweet. Most recipes I've seen
suggest whitefish as a substitute. If I had access to freshwater game fish
at the fish monger's, I'd go with freshwater bass of any variety as a
substitue, but whitefish will do.

Tench is allied with the carp. A freshwater bottom feeder. Very bony. Sweet
flesh. Similar diet and environment to catfish. Carp will be the best
substitute for texture and flavor. In the absence of carp, since Easter is
long past, you might try catfish (well-skinned with no muddy fat) for
similar flavor, if not texture.

Haddock should be available frozen, if not fresh. Cod is the best substitute
for texture. Pollock and Whiting are more watery, but in the same family.
All would be acceptable substitutes. I'd go with cod loins, if you can't
find haddock, then pollock, then whiting.