[Sca-cooks] Dar Anahita is BACK!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat May 22 11:48:56 PDT 2004

Stefan wrote:
>Anahita commented:
>  > Yeah, well, those are the first socks i ever ever knit, made during
>  > the winter of 1999 and they were stolen in May 2000.
>
>I'm sorry to hear about the disappearance of your socks. Sometimes
>there are some bad apples, or at least careless ones, in the SCA among
>all the good apples. I lost about $500 worth of swords and daggers when
>I loaned them to my barony for a display at the public library and they
>didn't come back to me. But at least I hadn't spent a lot my time
>making them other than just cleaning them originally.

I would have minded less if it had been a SCAdian, because then at
least they would have had some level of appreciation of the stuff
they took.

Instead i was getting ready to load up to go to an event. The stuff
was on my porch and given the construction, little was visible from
the street. I had been doing this for several years before going to
Ren Fairs, where i am an actor without problems.

However, as i went out with an armful, a guy saw me, and i am
confident he was the one who stole the stuff. I'm sure he thought he
was getting yuppie camping gear. A little of it was, but mostly it
was my SCA stuff, which i'm sure he pitched into a dumpter, cursing
me for having such crap.

>Knit pouches? Any evidence of these being period?

Absolutely, although not as i made mine, since i used worsted weight
cotton. The ones that have survived are made of close to thread
weight silk.

>Have you, or anyone
>else written an article on these? Either a overview of period examples
>or a how-to-make-them article? I'd love to have such articles for the
>Florilegium.

Maybe... i'll ask. I am the owner of an Historic Knitting e-mail list.

Anahita