[Sca-cooks] Fried apple pies

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon May 24 11:09:02 PDT 2004

Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
>Is this a period recipe?
>
>>  The classic Tarte Tatin is even easier, I think, and like the above,
>>  is something you can reproduce from a description, without needing a
>>  really detailed recipe. And I have to start my description with
>>  "basically" also ;-)...
>>
>>  Basically you peel, core and slice or quarter enough cooking apples
>>  to fill an oven-safe saute pan, like an iron skillet or one of those
>  cheap all-mild-steel omelette pans (my fave, BTW). etc.

I don't think so. It's supposedly named for the Tatin sisters, who
ran a hotel/restaurant in Lamotte-Beuvron (I assume that's in France,
but I couldn't tell you where) in the early years of the 20th
century. However, Larousse (my source for this info) claims that the
"upside-down tart" (I assume that's a generic term in this case) is
an ancient specialty of Sologne and is found throughout  Orleanais.
Alleged to have been served at Maxim's restaurant in Paris (some time
after the Tatin sisters made it famous), where it remains popular to
this day.

Caveat: Larousse, and, I suspect, French sources in general, can mean
anywhere as late as the early 19th century when they say "ancient". I
think it's just a linguistic anomaly that translators often don't
catch.

OT: Jadwiga, I know you and I have been discussing bidness. I'm
working on it...

Adamantius