[Sca-cooks] Re:Jadwuiga's ginger syrup

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue May 25 09:11:06 PDT 2004

>         I see this uses minced fresh ginger.  I have a bottle of purreed
> ginger (has a small amount of salt in it.  Do you think that I could substitute
> this one-for-one in your recipe?
>      Devra (wondering what to do with the d**n jar of ginger)

I have a jar of ginger paste and a jar of garlic-and-ginger paste. I use
them for Indian cooking, Thai cooking, Chinese cooking, and anywhere that
calls for those ingredients where it will then be subjected to a food
processor or blender. They also work well to spread on meat before
roasting (or grilling or broiling or frying or baking) or as part of a
marinade. Mix a bit of orange juice and honey with the ginger paste and
smear it on chicken breasts, then broil them. Yum!

I don't know how well the paste would work in the syrup, though. You might
have to strain the syrup while still hot to get all the teeny bits out.

Margaret