[Sca-cooks] Okay, so this is vaguely food-related...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu May 27 10:36:20 PDT 2004

> Ok, I admit to being a little confused.  The vatican letter seemed to
> imply that while exceptions could be made, it was grudgingly accepted.

Yes, but it's a cultural thing. When communion is offered only in one
specie, it's in the bread, because handling the wafers is simpler than the
wine. For many years, it was offered only under one specie-- the wafer--
to the congregation. That's why it's so culturally important that church
organizations have developed low-gluten wafers.

> That is, if it's so important to take both wafer and wine that a celiac
> sufferer wouldn't be considered for Holy Orders, then it seems like it's
> not unimportant for everyone to take both, just accepted due to demand.

No, it's important for the priest to be able to take both as part of the
consecration. That's why if you can't take both, you can't be a priest.
However, _taking_ communion after consecration is completed can be under
either specie or both species.

Many people don't understand the difference between the doctrine of
transubstantiation and symbolic communion, and that causes all kinds of
trauma for everyone, too.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Never cook for or sleep with anyone who routinely puts you down."
	-- Naomi Wolfe.