[Sca-cooks] Okay, so this is vaguely food-related...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 18:28:38 PDT 2004

This is interesting.  Being a good Lutheran and
the President of my church's Altar Guild, I know
a lot about communion.  My former pastor, now
retired, is a celiac.  This is what he did [and
from what he has told me it was authorized by
Synod]:

The Host would be given to the celiac in their
hand.  The celiac would then take the Host and
pass it through their open mouth, without it
touching their lips or tongue.  A special plate
would then pass by so the communicant could
place the uneaten Host on it so it could be
properly disposed of later.  It is the act of
acceptance that is the most important part of
Communion, not the actually chewing.

Before Synod allowed grape juice to be offered,
an alcoholic would take an individual glass and
bring it up to the lips, but not sip it.
However, when it was brought to Synod's attention
that this could severely tempt an alcoholic, they
then allowed grape juice to be offered in
addition to wine.  It is the act of acceptance of
the Host and the Cup that is more important than
the actual, physical ingesting of the bread and
the wine.

Huette

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
<jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> > I'd never thought about the gluten
> specifically, but it makes sense. It
> > is supposed to be an unleavened bread. You
> wouldn't leaven a gluten free
> > bread to begin with...
>
> When I read the article, I noticed that the
> family moved to a symbolic
> communion church, rather than to a fringe
> Catholic (transubstantiation) or
> Lutheran (consubstantiation) church. Which
> suggests to me that their big
> deal wasn't about the religious significance of
> the Eucharist, but about
> having their kid have what other kids have. In
> which case, I think they
> will be happier in a different church anyway.
>
> --
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
> "Never cook for or sleep with anyone who
> routinely puts you down."
> 	-- Naomi Wolfe.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.