[Sca-cooks] Lainie-brownies

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu May 27 20:20:17 PDT 2004

Killer-Death, Queen-Seducing Artery-Hardening "These Ain't on No-one's
Diet, Nohow" Brownies, courtesy of Lainie The Magnificent, as Channeled
by Maire
--preheat oven to 350 farenheit
--prepare a standard 9"x13" cake pan (I line mine with tinfoil, and then
butter the tinfoil)

In a microwavable bowl with some room to it, melt 1 c of real butter.
None of this sissy margarine.  I use unsalted butter.  When that's
melted, stir in half a package of chocolate chips.  Use good-quality
chocolate chips.  Don't both with milk-chocolate chips.  Stir these
around in the butter until everything's smoothed out and melty.
In another (larger) bowl, combine 1 c. of granulated sugar and 1 c.
dutched cocoa (other kind works okay, but dutched tastes better).  This
is the powdered, unsweetened stuff.  Make sure you've sifted or sieved
the cocoa to get rid of lumpage.  Into this bowl, pour the
butter/chocolate sludge, and mix well.
Now, using your sturdy arm and a good, wooden spoon or other similar
instrument of cooking, stir into the batter 4 good-sized eggs (yes, raw
and minus the shells, you eegits!), one at a time, stirring well after
each one.  Beat until satiny.  Add in there somewhere, add one-half
teaspoon real vanilla.  If you're using "mexican vanilla," use less,
unless you want a distinct vanilla tone to the baked brownies.
Into all of this, add 1 c. of all-purpose flour into which has been
stirred one-half teaspoon of salt.  Stir well, and then add in the other
half of the bag of chips (you didn't think you got to eat them, now did
you?)
The batter's pretty thick by this point, even if you cheated and doubled
up on the melted chocolate part like I did this time.  Spoon it into
your prepared pan, and smooth it out evenly.
Bake in the oven for about 30 mins.  These are seriously moist brownies,
  so they'll seem really almost underbaked when you first take them out,
but they firm up some as they cool.  If you can stand to wait that long
(I couldn't).
Lainie sez to watch for false-positives if you're doing a toothpick test
for doneness, as you may hit a motherlode of chocolate chips.

My coworker, Steve, thinks they'd be just smashing with the addition of
a little Jack Daniels (although Steve says that about a lot of things,
but then it's that type of workplace ;o), perhaps mixed with a little
confectioner's sugar as a thin glaze brushed across the hot brownies.  I
thought they might be good with some cinnamon, as well, but that may
well be verging on the heretical.

--maire, off to check the maddering sock yarn on the stove...

p.s.  Anahita, did you want a copy of that Plimoth Plantation pamphlet I
had?