[Sca-cooks] Medieval Cooking 201

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun May 30 12:09:00 PDT 2004

>  After the challenge of the Virtual Cook-off,   could I get some ideas?  For
> our Kingdom Collegium in August,  There seems be an interest in a step
> beyond "This is Medieval Cooking."   I have done hands-on redacting classes,
> and am planning a 2nd presentation of  "How to be a Head Cook"  But not sure
> where the focus should be.   From the Moas office,  I received this
> answer:"{there is}interest  in types of cooking, say preparing a period
> Italian/German/whathaveyou feast, where do you start, what are good sources,
> helpful hints, that kind of thing."

My first thought would be to start breaking things down into a bunch of
different classes.

You could have a general class on types of dishes (Roasts, civeys, sauces,
pies, etc...), or divide up classes by dish type. For instance, I teach a
Spices and Savory Seeds class, another basic Sauces class, and a Mustards
class; and am contemplating (in the future) a Salats class. (These being
appropropriate to my focus on herbs.)  My friend Christopher is developing
a class on Pottages.  Lady Allison taught a hands on class at Pennsic some
years  ago on Fritters. All of these class types lend themselves to either
hands-on or distribution of samples.

Preparation and preservation of foods is another topic that people find
fascinating.

Or you could do a class on period ingredients... Or on humors... and so
on...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Never cook for or sleep with anyone who routinely puts you down."
	-- Naomi Wolfe.