[Sca-cooks] Krupnik?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon May 31 10:00:21 PDT 2004

On 5/30/04 3:41 PM, "Stefan li Rous" <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Ok, what is this "Krupnik"? Is it period? And how do you make it?
>
> Stefan
> (I've already looked in the Florilegium and there's nothing there on
> it...) :-)
> --------

Yeah, at least we can count on YOU to have checked the Flori-Thingie first!

OK here is what I have found online on Polish Krupnik, not to be confused
with Ukranian Krupnik, which seems to be a mushroom barley soup.

Other spices that I have found in other renditions include peppercorns,
allspice, nutmeg.  I would like to try Long Pepper in it too - extra nippy!

Anyway, recipe follows.  This same recipe appears many times, but this
particular one cited the SCA and names some SCA names, so that's what I
forwarded.

Selene Colfox

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/27/148622.shtml

Title: Krupnik (Polish Fire Vodka)
Yield: 1 Servings
Ingredients

      1    and 1/2 cup honey
      1 ts vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
      3    strips lemon peel (each 2 inches long)
    2/3 c  water
      8    sticks cinnamon
      2    whole cloves
      1    bottle (4/5 quart) unflavored vodka

Instructions
Combine honey and water with spices and lemon peel in a large
saucepan. Bring to a boil and cover, simmer 5 minutes. Add vodka and
remove from heat. Strain spices. Serve hot or cold. This improves
with aging.

recipe by Mistress Warjna Lady Lyscil

I found this recipe for krupnik (in a small SCA (Society for Creative
Anchronism) cookbook, _Oldenfoods_, published by the Shire of
Oldenfeld, Kingdom of Trimaris.
From: Robert Lightfoot