[Sca-cooks] Krupnik?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 31 01:12:05 PDT 2004

Phlip replied to my question with:
> > Ok, what is this "Krupnik"? Is it period? And how do you make it?
>
> I'm surprised you haven't run into it in camp, Srefan- Margali's friend
> Max tends to bring it by fairly frequently.
Well, now that you describe it, I do remember seeing it, and probably
trying it. Not that much different from mead I believe, although more
alcoholic. :-)

> It's a Polish Honey Liqueur. Label says:
> " Prepared from bees honey and various spices and aromatic herbs
> according to Polish recipes many hundred years old."
>
> I suppose it could be period, depending on whether or not the |Poles
> had the ability to distill or not, but I don't know.
Yes, and the many times mentioned "traditional doesn't mean period" or
in this case "many hundred years old" doesn't mean period, even if they
have something to back that statement up.
> Just got some good news, though- a friend of mine who camps near us
> just
> posted me to let me know he's bringing me 10 bottles of that ginger
> mead he
> makes that I love so much ;-) Maybe this year, a couple of bottles
> might
> make it home from War ;-)
Yes, I need to get back into some mead brewing. Too late for Pennsic
this year, though. But Krupnik wouldn't take as long. :-) Thanks for
the recipes, Johnnae. Particularly without know what it was or even
what kind of drink it was, I don't know what I would have ended up with
from a web search. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas