[Sca-cooks] Krupnik?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun May 30 18:19:51 PDT 2004

This is one of those searches that's hit or miss as to what
that recipe might have been.

POLAND
Fire Vodka
(Krupnik)

      1-1/2 cup honey
      2/3 cup water
      1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
      1/4 tsp. nutmeg
      8 sticks cinnamon
      2 whole cloves
      3 strips lemon peel
      1 bottle vodka

Combine honey with the water, vanilla, spices and the lemon peel in a
large saucepan. Bring this to a boil cover, and simmer for about 5 min.
Add vodka, remove from the heat serve hot or cold.
http://www.globalgourmet.com/destinations/poland/krupnik.html
Krupnik (Polish fire Vodka)
INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 cup honey 2/3 cup water 1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp. nutmeg 8 sticks cinnamon 2 whole cloves 3 strips lemon peel 1
bottle vodka (1 litre)

Combine honey with the water, vanilla, spices and the lemon peel in a
large saucepan. Bring this to a boil cover, and simmer for about 5 min.
Add vodka, remove from the heat serve hot or cold. enjoy :D

-----------------------------

Hot Vodka with Honey
Krupnik

2 Tbs of cold water       1 small cinamon stick
2 cups sugar                10 peppercorns
4 cups boiling water      20 allspice berries
1/4 vanilla bean            1 1/3 cup honey
1/4 nutmeg                   orange rind
2 cloves                       2 cups vodka
Heat sugar in 2 Tbs of water until it dissolves, then stir in the
boiling water. Add vanilla bean, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon stick,
peppercorns, and allspice berrier. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for
5 minutes. Strain the caramel mixture and return to the pan. Stir in
honey and orange rind and heat, stirring, until the honey has completly
dissolved. Bring to a boil. remove the pan from the heat and gradually
stir vodka. Serve hot or cold.

http://www.polstore.com/html/christmasrecipes.html

---------------------------

Krupnik
(Fire Vodka)

1 1/2 cups (375 ml.) honey
2/3 cup (150 ml.) water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 sticks cinnamon
2 whole cloves
3 strips lemon peel (2 in. long)
1 bottle (750 ml.) vodka

	Combine honey with the water, vanilla, spices and lemon peel in a large
saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 min. Add the vodka,
remove from heat. Serve hot or cooled. Makes about 1 quart (1 l.).

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/suchgo/kuchnia.htm
Lithuanian honey vodka, is  Krupnikas according to the web.
There's also a Krupnik (Polish Mushroom Barley Soup) which has a lot of
recipes too.

The Poles claim that  they were making vodka in the 8th century and it
dates in print back to
a 16th century herbal, so who knows if a honey flavored vodka is period
or not. The vanilla
of course could be a later addition.

Johnnae llyn Lewis