[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Nov 1 03:43:29 PST 2004

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Okay, so now when y'all are talking about "smaller hands" do you
>mean smaller *palms* or *shorter fingers*? or both?  See, I've got
>stinkin' short fingers, but very broad palms (makes it a stone b!tch
>to find gloves and mittens that fit). I'm forever taking the skin
>from my knuckles when I grate something....
>--maire, only hoping that she's making sense ;-)

Sorry, Maire. I've been away from the computer a great deal lately,
and only went back to look for more of this thread when I discovered
this morning it was still going on...

I suspect in your case, relatively thick fingers may be the culprit,
but long fingers can do it too. Anything that doesn't fit the ideal
hand profile the manufacturer of the knife had in mind. Look at it
this way (it's early in the morning and I'm going to be crude):
simply put, you're wrapping a layer of meat around the handle of that
knife and moving it around. If the thickness of that layer of meat
(and bones) is different from the recommended thickness range that
the knife designer allowed for, you run a strong risk of rapping your
knuckles, just as you do when you grate, for similar reasons. Shorter
fingers mean more of the finger is used to get a good grip.

Adamantius