[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Nov 1 03:52:58 PST 2004

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:

>>Ideally, though, for chopping and much slicing (depending on what the
>>item is), the preferred ideal motion involves keeping the point more
>>or less anchored on or near the surface of the cutting board, and
>>sliding it about two inches or so from side to side in a sort of
>>invisible track, while moving the center and heel of the blade in a
>>circular motion that looks a bit like watching the wheels on a
>>steam-driven locomotive.

>Thank you! I have, I think, been using my knives all wrong. I can't
>quite figure out what you exactly are describing but perhaps I will
>with some more rereading. This is a chopping motion with a bit of
>horizontal movement? I'm not quite sure which parts of the knife
>move and in which direction and which ones don't.
>
>I've never liked prepping my ingredients. This is one reason I
>bought a food processor. Perhaps improving my knife work will
>improve things. Certainly something I should do before I invest in
>better knives, since I want the knives to fit the better motion and
>not buy for what feels good with  my current motion and then have an
>improved motion the new ones don't work with.

Now here's a question for you. (Again, sorry about the delay in
response; I thought this thread was over.)

If I can figure out how to do this, would the Florilegium be
interested in hosting a couple of small streaming videos (I hate
streaming video but the file sizes are smaller, MPEG-4 suggests
itself without my having to subject myself to the indignities of
Windows Media or Real Media) of, say, my hands chopping an onion?

Adamantius
--
"As long as but a hundred of us remain  alive, never will we on any
conditions be brought under English rule.  It is in truth not for

Holt, 07/29/04