[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 00:25:03 PST 2004

Nichola commented:
> Ok I say this because having known you for 4-5 years in a virtual way I
> feel that I can... (IE Don't get offended here I am picking)
I try not to be.
> I just had this really funny picture of a learning exchange class at
> Pennsic....
>
> Stefan sits in a tent with his laptop/whatever his Florilegium wizards
> access files are stored upon...
Well, I almost had the Florilegium there on my palm pilot. I ran into a
number of problems in file conversions and viewers though. And I
didn't, and won't convert 1800+ files one by one by hand. However, that
is a project on the list for the future.

> People/student/teachers come in and ask Stefan for the references in
> the
> florilegium for left handed medieval gum chewers or whatever obscure
> thing they want to know about the middle ages that is stored on his
> site...
 From time to time, folks have played the "stump Stefan and the
Florilegium" game. I thought you might have finally succeeded here,
until I did a search. Nothing specific on left handed gum chewers, but
these files do talk a bit about period equivalents of chewing gum:
sumac-msg         (15K) 12/29/99    Period uses of sumac. Identiying it.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/sumac-msg.html
gums-resins-msg   (32K)  8/31/03    Period use of plant gums and
resins. Myrrh,
                                        mastic, frankincense, camphor.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/gums-resins-msg.html
aspic-msg         (48K)  9/ 7/04    Notes on aspic, a meat-base gelatin.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/aspic-msg.html
> In return they have to teach Stefan something...
> So you get this kind of scenario... Stefan I need this info... type
> type
> type here it is on my site....
> Thank You Stefan... here is how to cook a boiled peanut/ use a knife/
> parboil yaks milk... whatever.
Some of that isn't medieval European. However, my interests are
wide-ranging...
> You always amaze me in how much technical and web stuff you know but
> also how little practical kitchen stuff you know...
Ouch. Well, this really isn't the appropriate place for me to be asking
my "stupid" technical and web stuff questions. So you don't see them.
As far as questions go, read a biography about Admiral Rickover (the
father of the American nuclear navy) sometime. If you don't ask, you
don't find out. And I've already made a fool of myself on this list
more than once, so one more time isn't going to change much. Nope, I
don't know much practical kitchen stuff. That's why I'm unlikely to
ever cook a large SCA feast. But I have learned a lot just listening to
the folks on this list and asking questions over the years.

As I'm currently looking for a technical job, I hope I come across to
prospective employers as I seem to have to you. Or if I decide to
branch out on my own, to potential customers.
> It seems that we all have a new project when we next see Stefan...
> teach
> proper knife usage... well ok ya'll do... I doubt I will see him
> anytime
> soon having never physically met the man...
You still might meet me sometime. There are a number of folks here that
I've met and become friends with whom I didn't meet in person until
Pennsic or Gulf Wars. There are some, such as yourself, whom I've still
to meet. Unfortunately, since I've likely lost my four weeks of
vacation and will probably be starting off again at two, I don't know
if I will be at another Pennsic. However, if I end up doing contract
work or designing circuit boards on my own for customers, perhaps I can
leave time for Pennsic open.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas