[Sca-cooks] digby cakes

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 3 12:39:49 PST 2004

Greetings,

My Digby cakes did not rise (much), which is what I expected from the
recipe. I just wanted to check with those of you who know how they are
supposed to come out.

Aoghann

The recipe I used, from the Florillegium...

-----------------------------

My redaction of Digby has more liquids than Duke Cariadoc's:

3 c flour
3/4 c sugar
3 c currants or baking raisins
1 3/4 sticks butter
4 T cream
1 egg yolk
1 T nutmeg
2 t sherry

For icing the cakes, I also experimented with Duke Cariadoc's redaction.
I changed it from 1/3 c of sugar to use 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and
enough water so you can spread it on the cakes as soon as they come out
of the oven. Powdered sugar will dissolve faster in warm water. A pastry
brush is good for painting each cake with the sugar glaze.

-Tirloch of Tallaght