[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 18, Issue 8

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 04:00:14 PST 2004

Yeah, Swans are very big indeed, the Black Swan which
you describe is from Australia and is one of the more
docile social members of that genus! The Mute Swan,
which we all know from the fairy tales, is not so
nice, they are very territorial and can be quite
vicious! They were introduced to this country in the
late 1800s after the first settlers had killed off the
native species such as the Whooper and Trumpeter Swan,
just now making a comeback in the Midwest and North.

Mute Swan tastes much like goose, though a bit on the
gamey side. Eat as many as you can, exotic invasives
that they are, they depopulate a body of water of any
other waterfowl! They will kill ducks and ducklings in
short order, which is one reason you find them on
artificial ponds in apartments. Course some of that is
being eliminated once you have a Swan/human
interaction gone amiss!!

Abot Johann
Medieval Poultry,

  6. Re: Turkey vs. swan (Christiane)
> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:52:57 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
> From: Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Re: Turkey vs. swan

> Johnnae said:
> Swans on lakes here in Michigan have a profound
> dislike for modern watercraft.
>  <snip>
>
> The swans I encountered in Greenport, Long Island,
> as a kid were generally OK with us humans, but of
> course we fed them. The neighborhood we were in had
> a brackish marsh separated from the sound by a
> couple of hundreds yards of beach; the houses faced
> back on the marsh, and we would gather at our
> neighbor's dock every evening for the "swan parade."
> The swans and cygnets would come to be fed. We kids
> would save all the heels and crusts of bread for
> them.
>
> One afternoon I returned from miniature golf with my
> great-grandfather and saw the swans had gathered at
> the edge of the marsh on the beach. I think I was 7
> years old at the time. I grabbed the bread-bag and
> raced out there. I got fairly close to the swans and
> threw a piece of bread ... which the stiff breeze
> blew back to my feet! I stepped back and threw
> another piece of bread ... same thing happens again.
> The swans are getting closer; the big one in front
> flaps his wings and hisses at me. I realize he is as
> tall as I am, and his wings are huge. For a frozen
> moment, I stood there. Then I dropped the entire bag
> of bread and ran. I watched them feed from a safe
> distance!
>
> I remember about 5-8 adult birds in this flock, and
> at least as many cygnets. There were black swans,
> too, which I understand are rare. My dad joked once
> about bagging a swan for dinner and that got me
> really upset!
>
> What does swan taste like anyway?
>
> Gianotta

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"