[Sca-cooks] Medlars and lovage

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Nov 4 03:30:45 PST 2004

The New York Times food section on Wed. 11/3/2004
carried an article on medlars with sources given for
purchasing the trees and fresh fruits.
The article notes that
"Native to the Caucasus, northern Iran and Asia Minor,
 medlars were cultivated by the ancient Greeks and Romans
and subsequently spread throughout Europe, where they were popular in
the Middle Ages.
Three of the Unicorn Tapestries in the Cloisters depict the fruit.
Medlars fell from favor in the 20th century, when more
convenient late-ripening fruits became abundant."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/03/dining/03MEDL.html

They are something that people don't generally see although they
had them on display at Hampton Court in the kitchens
when we were there in April, so I do have digital pictures of them.

There's also an article on lovage in the same section.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/03/dining/03LOVA.html

Johnnae llyn Lewis