[Sca-cooks] [jp_sca at yahoo.com: Re: what larded milk recipe?]

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Nov 4 05:32:55 PST 2004

This is the larded Milk recipe Christopher used. It's supposed to be
from Le Viandier de Taillevent. What's interesting is that in this
recipe lardons are equated with wine/verjuice for the curdling.

Larded milk. Take some [cow's] milk, boil it on the fire,
lift it down from the fire, put it on a few coals, and
thread in beaten egg yolks. If you wish it for a meat day,
take lardons, cut them into two or three bits, and throw
them into the milk to boil. If you wish it for a fish day,
do not add lardons, but throw in some wine and verjuice to
curdle it before you lift it down. Remove it from the fire,
put it in a white cloth, let it drain, wrap it in 2 or 3
layers of the cloth, and press it until it is as firm as
beef liver. Put it on a table, slice it into strips the
size of a full palm or three fingers, button them with
whole cloves, fry them until they are browned, set them
out, and throw some sugar on top.

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
<jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> Hey, Christopher, what recipe for larded milk did you
> use? (I mean, what
> original recipe?)
>
> --
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
> "In the clearing stands a boxer, A fighter by his trade
> And he carries the reminders Of every blow that laid him
> down
> Or cut him till he cried out, In his anger and his shame,
> 'I am leaving, I am leaving' But the fighter still
> remains."

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

----- End forwarded message -----