[Sca-cooks] [jp_sca at yahoo.com: Re: what larded milk recipe?]

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Nov 4 06:11:57 PST 2004

Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
>This is the larded Milk recipe Christopher used. It's supposed to be
>from Le Viandier de Taillevent. What's interesting is that in this
>recipe lardons are equated with wine/verjuice for the curdling.
>
>Larded milk. Take some [cow's] milk, boil it on the fire,
>lift it down from the fire, put it on a few coals, and
>thread in beaten egg yolks. If you wish it for a meat day,
>take lardons, cut them into two or three bits, and throw
>them into the milk to boil. If you wish it for a fish day,
>do not add lardons, but throw in some wine and verjuice to
>curdle it before you lift it down. Remove it from the fire,
>put it in a white cloth, let it drain, wrap it in 2 or 3
>layers of the cloth, and press it until it is as firm as
>beef liver. Put it on a table, slice it into strips the
>size of a full palm or three fingers, button them with
>whole cloves, fry them until they are browned, set them
>out, and throw some sugar on top.

I wonder if there's a typo somewhere along the line: in Scully's
translation, there's a semicolon between the part about not adding
bacon on a fish day, and then the instruction about adding wine and
verjuice to curdle. I suspect a better colloquial translation for
that passage might be something like, "take lardons, cut them into
two or three pieces, and throw them into the milk to boil. If you
wish it for a fish day, do not add lardons, but [in any case/either
way] throw in some wine and verjuice..."

In other words, I think maybe there's been a slight shift in the
meaning of the word "mais", and it probably isn't an either/or
situation.

Adamantius
--
"As long as but a hundred of us remain  alive, never will we on any
conditions be brought under English rule.  It is in truth not for

Holt, 07/29/04