[Sca-cooks] cooking with Kasha

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 4 20:28:23 PST 2004

Greetings to you all!

Tonight I made a practice run on the beef soup with kasha that I will be
making for a Traveller's Fare on 11/19. This is my first use of kasha
and I had some surprises.

First, I put in what I thought to be a small amount, a scant 1 cup, into
a soup that had about 2 1/2 quarts of liquid. Poof, instant porridge, or
something close to it. There was about 2 cups of free liquid after a 20
minute simmer. I expect the leftovers in the fridge will absorb it all
by morning.

Second, the kasha has a distinct flavor, stonger than the barley, rice,
and oats I have cooked with previously. The soup was good, but there was
something that was not quite right in the flavor. My guess is that it
was the small amount of cinnamon that I put into the beef when I cooked
it earlier.  (soup recipe, from previous post)

So, what would be a good combination of spices/herbs for a soup of beef,
onion, carrot, and kasha?

Thanks,
Aoghann.

(For the Beef Soup, I am slow cooking the beef in advance with salt,
black pepper, a touch of garlic, and a touch of cinnamon. (15 pounds so
far). I then freeze it with its juice. The complete soup is made with
onions, carrots, beef stock and kasha.)