[Sca-cooks] Kudzu, was Mute Swan

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sat Nov 6 17:35:12 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/6/2004 6:58:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
liamfisher at gmail.com writes:

I live in the land of Kudzu, which literally will overtake you if you
nap too long near
it.  It grows on and over anything.  I think it is an import, but it's
not bad to look at
once it is all green.
It's an import from Japan, was planted here as erosion control mostly during
the depression, WPA Project kinda stuff. Took off like wildfire, as anyone who
has seen it grow when spring hits will testify to. I doubt anyone plants it
now, as the danger of being shot while planting is high <G>. I've seen it
overtake trees, houses and slow moving animals <G>.

The roots contain a starch known as Kuzu or Japanese Arrowroot, which you can
get at the health food stores. The blossoms are purple and smell just like
grape lollypops <G>. The roots are also usually about five or so feet deep, two
or better feet thick and a real b*tch to dig out. Sooo, if you;re going to try
to process your own kuzu I suggest a sturdy shovel and back and a sharp saw.

Corwyn

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the
consequences. -- P. J. O'Rourke