[jenne at fiedlerfamily.net: Re: [Sca-cooks] what's wierd-ish, what isn't]

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Nov 9 09:51:49 PST 2004

----- Forwarded message from Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> -----

From: Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>
To: Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] what's wierd-ish, what isn't

> > Some things I think they might consider odd:
> > - pea or lentil dishes
> > - green pies
> > - carrot/cheese pie
> > - blancmange
>

> Really?  You think they'd find these things odd, but not Sekanjabin???
>Or beef with a cinnamon
> sauce???

They are things people in the SCA (in my kingdom) are accustomed to
seeing.

> In my opinion, there is nothing odd about Blancmange, peas or lentils.  Green pies, maybe to the
> uninitiated.... but carrot/cheese pie sounds yummy to me.

Certainly, they are all yummy. I wouldn't serve them if they weren't.
But I don't want to scare off people. :)

> Certainly, of all the items you mentioned, Sekanjabin is the one which I would pick to toss out.
> Not only is it a revolting beverage, but it is so over-used in the SCA as to be 'mundane'.
> Personal opinion.

Well, that's the point, it is used so often that most SCAdians consider
it normal. :) Many people in my area like it, but they also prefer
ginger drink instead (made from a lemon-ginger syrup that I have my
doubts about the authenticity of, as I made it up out of my head!)

I don't consider it disgusting, but tastes differ. I mean, if I never
see another Tart for Ember Day again, I'll be happy... :) I prefer
sekanjabin for a dayboard rather than a feast, as it is definitely not
very European, anyway.

 > In my personal opinion, all of the items on this list should be okay,
>as long as the attendees
 > know, ahead of time, that they may be eating regular ingredients
>prepared in new (Old??) ways.

I know that. But Landsknecht is traditionally a fighting event, and
those who attend fighting events are traditionally the most conservative
eaters in the SCA. I don't mind pushing people's boundaries in terms of
period foods, but I prefer to do it a bit subtly, rather than loudly. My
ambition in cooking is to be a good plain cook, rather than an artiste.
:)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"In the clearing stands a boxer, A fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders Of every blow that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out, In his anger and his shame,
'I am leaving, I am leaving' But the fighter still remains."

----- End forwarded message -----