[Sca-cooks] Gunthar Updates

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 12 20:34:59 PST 2004

Well, I'm still working on the feast for Steppes 12th Night. The B&B STILL
haven't
given me a firm budget. I'm thinking I may get $6 a head and hoping for $7.

Using that as a baseline, and making it for 300 people, I think this feast
may work.

Course 1:

:Makerows or Loyzens (Basically layers of noodles, cheese, butter and spice)
:Stewd Beef (Short Ribs braised in a broth of onion, currants, red wine,
vinegar
and spices)
:Sauge or Hen with Sage Sauce (Roasted chicken with a sauce of ginger,
galingale,
cloves, red wine vinegar, sage and topped with hard boiled egg)
:A neat bread dish that is a variation on the usual Pandemayne where you
take out
the middle of rolls, fry that with mushrooms, spinach and butter then
replace the
crumbs and reheat in the oven.
:I'll make Buttered Wortes for those Atkins types. (Beet Greens, Spinach,
leeks,
butter)
:Benes yfried (Kidney Beans (or Fava if I can get them) fried with onions,
garlic and
olive oil.
:Chireseye (Cherry Bread Pudding, cherries, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, sugar,
wine,
juice, butter)
:Daryols (Custard tarts with pastry, egg yolks, sugar, cream, cinnamon,
saffron)

2nd Course
:Capon Stewd (Cornish Game Hen, dusted with herbs and pressure cooked in
white
wine. The juices are strained, mixed with sugar, currants and ginger and
presented as
the sauce)
:Cormarye (Pork Loin marinated in red wine, coriander, garlic, salt, pepper
and breadcrumb
then slow braised)
:Masserouns Florys (Mushrooms and bacon on skewers, grilled and basted with
egg yolk,
salt, cinnamon, cloves and pepper)
:Aspargus (Par-boiled Asparagus dredged in seasoned flour and fried.
Sprinkled with wine
vinegar)
:Tarts in Applys (Tarts filled with apples, figs, raisins, sugar, cinnamon,
nutmeg, mace,
salt, cloves)
:Creme Batard (Light Custard made with egg whites, milk, honey, salt, sugar)
Served over the apple tart

I still need to price everything with the food vendor, but it will be close.
I'll also try to serve Lemon Beer, Pomegranite Drink and a non-alcoholic
Hyppocras.

In other news, at work I'm going to start working mainly with pastries.
Learning how to
make those wonderful La Madeline pastries. That's a good/bad thing. I'm
really stoked
about learning pastry but, with the holidays approaching, we'll be working
24 hours a
day in 12 hour shifts to keep up with the demand. Groan!
AND me doing this feast.

Someone, shoot me now.

Yers,

Gunthar