[Sca-cooks] New World Foods

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Nov 13 22:13:08 PST 2004

Greetings,

I saw Phlip's comment about "New World Foods" and want to continue
that line of reasoning/enquiry.

IMO, all of this would be easier, if our 'charter' was
Medieval or Renaissance food *without using any* new world
foods at all.  i.e. we wouldn't have to even think about
that question.

... But it can't be that easy because that is not our initial
basis; what we have to consider is much more complex and also
a moving target.

In addition, the historical record is probably incomplete --
can we say with certainty, when, for example, vanilla appeared
in German cuisine?  ... etc.

Ever since I 'discovered' the SCA in the fall of 1996, I have
wondered and asked, what is the timeline for the introduction
of new world foods into the European cuisine?

We should also try to establish the introduction dates in
Europe for all non-European foods; herbs; spices.

With that timeline, the solution to this sort of question
becomes mush easier to implement.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick