[Sca-cooks] New World Foods

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 23:04:30 PST 2004

Vincenzo wonders...

> In addition, the historical record is probably incomplete --
> can we say with certainty, when, for example, vanilla appeared
> in German cuisine?  ... etc.

This is a very good question, and if you read German, it may be answered in
THE NEW HERBAL OF 1543 by Leonhart Fuchs, available in a modern facsimile
copy.  I do not read German but the index is in Latin species names, which
helps.  Many of the plants are pictured including "Turkish Corn" [maize],
capsicum peppers and various squashes like pumpkins.

Selene