[Sca-cooks] Pretzels-- Recipe found

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Nov 17 07:45:25 PST 2004

I thought that I had read something about these sweeter
pretzels, so I did some checking.
Turns out Countess Alys's  18th century sweet pretzel recipe is in
Matters of Taste.
Food and Drink in 17th Century Dutch Art and Life. It's based
on that New York state art show that Devra had the opportunity to see.
I will xerox and mail Alys the sections so she can post them
later to the list.
The first recipes printed for breads and things such as pretzels in the
Dutch
language are dated 1753. They were afterall trade secrets of the bakers
up until then.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Greetings.  Does anyone have access to Dutch cookery books to see if
there's a recipe for pretzels there?  _Windmills in My Oven_ (A Book of
Dutch Baking), while not giving a period recipe, states: "An
eighteenth-century recipe describes a dough made from flour, egg yolks and
a moderate amount of butter, flavoured with coriander and rese-water,
shaped into pretzels, baked and dried in the oven to produce a hard
biscuit."  (p. 119)  The author, Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra, commented that
Dutch pretzels are much sweeter than pretzels from other countries.

Alys Katharine