[Sca-cooks] Quinces and Marmalade

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 17 07:56:32 PST 2004

Etain wrote:
> The recipes for quince paste that I have read
>(late English sources) refer to rolling and "stamping" the
>paste...or rolling it on a mold. This sounded more like a candy to me.

>From what I remember, the original marmalades were like a fruit paste.  You
can see paintings of some marmalades in Dutch paintings, particularly.
They sit in oval or round boxes made from thin wood, very like the
Amish-made boxes and boxes available in hobby stores like Michael's.  Etain
is correct that the paste was more like a candy than what we know today as
marmalade.

Alys Katharine