[Sca-cooks] jalabs (was Sekanjabin Origins)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 19 20:41:05 PST 2004

Master Cariadoc mentioned:
> Except that the chapter doesn't identify the other drinks as
> "sekanabin." And many of the drinks don't have vinegar, and so are
> not oxymels either. I think an old discussion on this list concluded
> that "jalab" was the proper generic term for such drinnks, but I'm
> not sure.
I think "jalab" is a post-1600 word. But it seemed to be the best word
to use in classifying these drinks, so that is what I've chosen to use.
jalabs-msg        (71K)  7/ 3/04    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                        as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint
Drink).

There are a number of original period recipes for these drinks given by
Master Cariadoc in messages in this file and probably more on his site
or in the Miscellany. I would love to see more redactions for these.
Sekanjabin is not the only one we could be making. Unfortunately, some
of them also have unusual ingredients. I'd also like to know what some
of these are and where folks could find them these days.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com