[Sca-cooks] naming things on menus

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 20 14:26:57 PST 2004

  Elizabeth/Betty Cook asked:
> Also, what do you call compost on a menu? Call it
> compost and get the inevitable jokes or honest
> startled reactions? Compote?
Use the medieval term. In this case, compost. Yes, you will get the
jokes and the honest startled reaction. I think the latter is what you
all got from me when I first saw the term used on this list. Use the
opportunity to pass on a bit more information about the Middle Ages.

It is nice to parenthetically mention or describe what the item is,
though. ie: compost (compote). Of course, you will still have folks,
like me, who would have no idea what "compote" was either. So, that is
where something like "a pickled array of chopped fruits and vegetables"
might be a good addition.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas