[Sca-cooks] sweetmeat/cookie/cake or something else?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 20 15:12:13 PST 2004

Kiri mentioned:
> I did a wonderful recipe from the Manual de Mujeres...it is a
> sweetmeat/cookie/cake made with almonds, walnuts and honey...recipe
> below:
<snip>
> 1 cup breadcrumbs
> 1 cup Walnuts, ground
> 1 cup almonds, toasted and ground
> 1 cup honey
> 1/8 tsp. cloves, ground
> 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
> 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
There appears to be a whole family of similar foodstuffs. Gingerbread
is one, but that tends to just have breadcrumbs and not the ground
nuts. But there are others with just honey, ground almonds and
seasonings.

If you were looking for information on such dishes, under what name
would you look? It isn't quite candy nor a cookie or what most folks
would think of as a cake. Is there some general term I could use for
this? My cookie-msg, desserts-msg files are getting pretty big and I
need to split off some stuff, anyway. I'm considering granola-bars-msg,
which these dishes seem to resemble, but that is a pretty modern
concept. I already have a gingerbread-msg file and that is already a
subset of this and that file is already large enough with just what is
in there.

So, anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks,
   Stefan