[Sca-cooks] flaming desserts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 22 00:05:52 PST 2004

Bear commented:
> Flaming dsserts were a big thing in the 1880's.  I haven't found
> earlier
> references.  High proof alcohol became widely available in the 16th
> Century,
> so the practice might be Elizabethean.  If I needed to speculate, it
> sounds
> like something that the House of Haover might have done (18th Century
> at
> the earliest would be my bet).
In this file in the Florilegium, I believe Constance mentions some
flaming food in the castle soteltie in the "Forme of Curye".
Chastlete-art     (18K)  4/ 4/02    "Chastlete, a Pastry Castle" by Lady
                                        Constance de LaRose.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Chastlete-art.html

> The remainder of the recipe concerns the various fillings for the
> castle courtyard and the towers.  If we read the recipe straight, it
> would appear to call for 3 courtyards and about 15
> towers.  Furthermore, some of the dishes call for being served cold
> while others are to be served hot and still others are to be served
> flaming (broun & ew ardaunt).  By consulting the alternative wording
> again, we find that the recipe is suggesting at least four different
> groupings of food which might be served in the pastry castle, with a
> few extra tower suggestions thrown in.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas