[Sca-cooks] Careme was celebrity chef

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 22 06:49:13 PST 2004

Ian Kelly. Cooking for Kings is the title.
It's actually a very good book and well worth
reading. I hastened to buy a copy this fall because
I am under the impression that it is going out of stock.
[There is a new one out on Soyer too.]
http://www.walkerbooks.com/books/catalog.php?key=436&display=reviews
is one of the web sites that features it.
The play is discussed at
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1909346
http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm?int_news_id=4763

The book has a great deal in it on the switch in dining
service and table layouts for banquets. Also pastry and
sugar items. It's quite interesting. Makes me wish my
5 volume set by Careme wasn't boxed up.
Near the end of his life when he was dying,
Careme wrote
"Our work destroys us. Our only duty, after cooking, is
to record and publish, or if not we will suffer such regrets."

I thought it was a good quote. His books certainly live on.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

>They were all great chefs in an age before real mass communications,
>> and therefore, while great, probably not celebrities in any modern
>> sense of the word.snipped
>> See if you can get this great chef's name: I'd have thought Careme snipped
>> And then there's Alexis Soyer, author of, among other works, the
>> Pantropheon, who was the nineteenth century's answer to Bobby Flay.
>> Now _there_ was a celebrity chef. Now if only he could cook...
>>
>> Adamantius

Ding, Ding, Ding...and the prize goes to.....(drum roll)....Master A!
Yes, it was Careme.  It was quite an interesting segment.  It seems that
there is a person (already forgotten the name) who wrote a biography
about Careme, and also appeared in a show about him, and he was the main
player in the segment.  snipped
Kiri