[Sca-cooks] RE:Canning Pumpkins

Joanne Clyde jmknoppe at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 08:56:04 PST 2004

<snip>
Of course, the canned stuff isn't actually
pumpkin- I read somewhere that it's a different squash- Hubbard comes to
mind but that might not be it. They get away with calling it pumpkin
because it's so near to it, and squash is squash, I guess.
'Lainie
<snip>

In a fit of regional pride, I will point out that Libby's canned pumpkin is
really pumpkin.  Come down to Central Illinois in the fall.  Morton IL (just
east of Peoria) is home to the Libby's plant and grows the majority of
pumpkins that Libby's uses for their pumpkins, the fields are full of
them...heck, there is even the annual "Pumpkin Chuckin' Festival" where
teams of people get together to chuck pumpkins the farthest... Trebuchets,
catapults, and even hydraulic air cannons (Alludium Q-36 is one, named for
Marvin the Martian's weapon in the cartoons).  They've even succeeded in
chucking a pumpkin over a mile and a quarter!

Geertruyt