[Sca-cooks] November 2004 MK Cook's Challenge

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Nov 24 06:07:15 PST 2004

Lordy, lordy what a muddle this is!
Well, we'll just have to go and find ourselves a pig is all?
Now who all has a relative with a pig that we can get to donate
to the college. This just comes from knowing the right people, dear, so
we'll make some calls and see what we can do. I really think
that either the Tauntons or the Youngs will donate at least one. Then
we'll get on the
phone and call that cousin of Ray's that lives out there past Route 304
and ask him if we can have his hog cooker. We'll get Bobbie Ann's husband
to donate the propane. Just tell him we need some tanks. He owes me a favor.
Or we'll just call the men down at the lodge and tell them we need it done.
I think that they can handle at least
one or two pigs for us. They've got all that equipment.
They can handle the cooking; they just love to cook a hog. We'll tell em
to leave the sauce off. No tomatoes you know. I rather think that we
ought to
let the boys know that we could use some game too. Maybe they can get us
a few ducks or geese or a wild turkey or two also. Did you hear that Emma's
husband rounded a corner coming back from town and managed to kill 5
with his
truck just last week. She's got them all frozen in the freezer in her
garage.
We'll just throw those on the grill too.
Oh gotta tell them we need the pig's head kept. I guess you spray paint
that gold
and stick an apple in its mouth. Maybe we can make us some fake teeth
out of
paper mache cause I hope that's not gonna be a real boar. Martha's got
that huge serving tray. St. Marks
has the holly trees and we'll go get the bay and mistletoe from the
library grounds.
So The greens for decorating will be no problem.
menu--- Well, there's that Christmas book by Lorna Sass in the library.
We'll just do
all the recipes out of that. Mary Alice can do the wassail; she's got
that huge punch bowl
that she never uses. Must serve 8 gallons. It was a gift, you know for
her wedding.
We'll just xerox the recipes and pass them out and everyone can bring it
all in for
donation. It'll be different from the usual salads and dishes we bring.
It's nice of the SCA to want to help but the faculty wives association
and Tuesday Afternoon Bridge
Club can manage just fine.

Maybe ya'all would like to serve the meal and clean up?
-------------

I wrote this draft on the 2nd but I wasn't sure that I had quite caught
the  southern  part of it's
all who you know and who married which cousin that either has a gun and
hunts or which grande dame
can twist enough arms to make it happen. I was always amazed in rural
Virginia how things
were actually handled. I came in to the county library one morning and
there's a work crew outside working on the
heat pump. What are they doing, I want to know. Well, the local furnace
guy had been driving
down the alley past the library the day before with his windows down.
He'd noticed that the
heat pump didn't sound right, so he'd sent a crew that am to fix it.
Turns out the library needs a new
one. The treasurer called him up and thanked him for his donation, since
he hadn't
bothered to tell 'us ladies' about this before he'd installed the new
one. In the end, there
was a warranty that covered the pump and he donated the labor.

Anyway I left this all in the draft file---but here it is.

Happy holidays everyone.

JKH