[Sca-cooks] Period gifts in jars

Kai D. Kalix kdkalix at gmx.de
Thu Nov 25 08:35:45 PST 2004

Greetings,

Lord Stefan wrote:
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/beer-in-food-msg.html
>
> Of course I'd love to have any additional ones if folks see that their
> favorite period one is not listed in there.

I do have redactions for the following (of cause, in german; I'll try to
translate them asap) which I think are missing from the beer-in-food-msg
(after glancing over it):
Please notify me if any redactions show up in other Florilegium files.

Take and shell oysters, and keep the water that cometh of them and strain
it, and put it in a pot, and ale thereto, and a little bread thereto; put
ginger, canel, powder of pepper thereto, saffron and salt; and when it is
enough almost, put on thine oysters: look that they been well y-washed for
the shells: and then serve forth.
Two Fifteenth Century Cookery-books, p. 23/56

Sooglagh Tullog
Rissoles in Lent
Take Figs & seethe them up in Ale; then take when they are tender, & bray
them small in a Mortar; then take almonds, & shred them therto smal; take
pears, & shred them thereto ; take dates, & shred them thereto & Haddock or
Ling, that is well soaked & tease therto then make thine stuffing, & roll
lehthwise in thisne hand& lay them in flour, then make thine batter with ale
& Flour, & fry them up brown in Oil; right so, make round-like Fritters in
the manner beforesaid, & fry them up, & that is called Ragons, & then serve
them forth.
Take a Thousand Eggs or More, a Collection of 15th Century Recipes, by Cindy
Renfrow, pg. 71

Gebratene Quitten from Philippine Welserin

Playce Ysod
Madeleine Pelner, Fabulous Feasts

To Stewe Stekes of Mutton
Take a legge of mutton and cot it in small slices, and put it in a chafer,
and put therto a pottell of ale, and scome it cleane then putte therto seven
or eyghte onions thyn slyced, and after they have boyled one hour, putte
therto a dyshe of swete butter, and so lette them boyle tyll they be tender,
and then put therto a lyttel peper and salte.
A Proper Newe Book of Cokerye, 1572

xvj. Fylettys en Galentyne
Take fayre porke, þe fore quarter, an take of þe skyne; an put þe porke on a
fayre spete, an rost it half y-now; þan take it of, an smyte it in fayre
pecys, & caste it on a fayre potte; þan take oynonys, and schrede hem, an
pele hem (an pyle hem nowt to smale), an frye in a panne of fayre grece; þan
caste hem in þe potte to þe porke; þan take gode broth of moton or of beef,
an caste þer-to, an þan caste þer-to pouder pepyr, canel, clowys, an macys,
an let hem boyle wyl to-gederys; þan tak fayre brede, an vynegre, an stepe
þe brede with þe same brothe, an strayne it on blode, with ale, or ellys
sawnderys, & salt, an lat hym boyle y-now, an serue it forth.
Harleian ms 279; Austin, Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks.

kai

--
Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in
order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to

GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum supergünstigen Komplett-Preis!