[Sca-cooks] Creole Mustard (OOP)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 10:25:24 PST 2004

--- Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:

> I couldn't find your variety, though, so.....
> What kind of other spices? Is there alcohol (wine or cider or
> something)? I have some friends who'd really like something like this
> for a holiday gift (even if not exactly "period").

The commercial brands we used often at the restaurant were Zatarains and Luzianne (the best
commercial version, in my opinion).  However, we did experiment (as we had a habit of doing quite
often) with making our own.  Loosely translated (recipes??  What are those?) it was this:

3 T  'Steens' Cane Syrup (or use light molasses, which is similar)
1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar (more or less)
1 oz whole mustard seed, cracked (I used a huge cast-iron skillet...but that's just me)
1 oz Colemans Mustard (powder)
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T fresh onion, minced
About '2 fingertips' of chopped Cilantro (just enough to mound slightly on the tips of two
fingers)
Salt and Black Pepper to taste

We just threw the whole mess, except the vinegar, into the food processor, and then drizzled in
the vinegar until we had the consistency and taste that we wanted.

When we got a 'good batch' (not too tart), we'd use it as is.  Otherwise, we'd fiddle with it
until it was perfect, somtimes adding more cane syrup to control the vinegar and heat of the
mustard.

It was a spicy concoction, to be sure, but not super-hot.  Softened with a little mayo, it made a
great dipping sauce for our Crawfish and Corn Beignets, and I liked to drizzle it over our
Crescent City Shrimp (basically, U-10 shrimp, tail on, butterflied, stuffed with
crawfish/crab/Pepper Jack/Roasted Red Pepper and wrapped in Tasso then baked...served on a bed of
Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya).  The dish usually came with a Jalapeno-Lime Cream, though, which
had one respectable local physician literally licking the rim of his plate one evening.  A feather
in my cap, if I do say so...

William de Grandfort

=====
She was freezer burn...... all else is only icing.