[Sca-cooks] RE: Starter went 'Pfft'

Joanne Clyde jmknoppe at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 25 07:01:35 PST 2004

Forwarded question to the scabakers list.  I'll post their replies!

Geertruyt

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:51:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org

My catering company has been very busy lately.  That's great for me, but
apparently *not* so great
for my Sourdough Starter.  After 6 months of devoted service and outrageous
flavor, it appears
that my starter has suffered from seperation anxiety.  3 weeks in the
fridge, unfed and unloved,
and it has given up the ghost....shuffled off this mortal coil..... gone to
join the Choir
Invisible...you get the point.

I tried to revive it by adding more yeast, and replacing half of it with
fresh flour and water,
but it just sat there, looking up at me with billions of lifeless eyes.  No
froth, no bubble, not
even a respectable burp.  Listless.

I'm wondering why the starter did not revive when I added fresh yeast and
fresh flour.  It always
had before, and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't now.  Unless,
there is too much acid
in the starter???  I mean, this stuff is lemondrop sour, and made absolutely
wonderful bread,
pancakes and waffles, just to name a few.

If the acid is not a problem (I have been using home-made starters for years
with no problems),
could it be a bacterial infection???  The starter still smells like
sourdough starter, and hasn't
'gone off'.  The 'run-off' was clear and smelled tart (no off odors).

Any sourdough bakers out there think they can offer up some advice?  I have
started a new batch,
using a tablespoon of the original starter, and all other ingredients fresh
(including fresh
yeast).  I'm hoping this new batch will not be problematic due to the
addition of the stuck
starter.

William de Grandfort
Experienced Baker, but come on.... I'm at a loss.