[Sca-cooks] York: Was: Stonehenge Access

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 28 19:11:28 PST 2004

Maire wrote:
> Ooh! Ooh! Where in York was that dealer? <evil grin> I'd love to have
> something like that, although I think I'd be afraid to wear it!

I'd have to look up the name, but it was on the street near the Old Starr
Inn, from which one accesses Barley Hall.

>(snip)  had lunch in a restored 15th? century manor hall (definitely
> food-related)

Was this St. William's College near the Minster?  They had good food in
2002 although this year it wasn't as good as I remembered.  However, we
were the last folk to eat there - around 2 pm - and most of the food was
gone.  They had the _best_ Spotted Dick in 2002 and I was looking forward
to trying it again.

What I don't recommend is Russell's Carvery.  This was the second trip
where the meat was dry, except for the lamb.  For buying a $30-40 dinner,
one expects better food.  An excellent place to eat, pointed out to us by a
local, is Cafe No. 8, on Gillygate around the corner from Bootham Bar.
They use locally produced foods and the dishes are superb!  Unfortunately,
the prices are reasonable for the locals but the current exchange makes it
pricy for us.  Dinner ranged from around 15 pounds to 20.  If that had been
dollars, it would have been fine.

Baguettes seem to be the way to go.  They are on long, thin French-type
bread with lots of filling and cost around 3-4 pounds.  Pasties also are
cheap, tasty and filling.  However, one needs to check the prices in the
various stores.  We found identical (so they appeared) pasties for 1.50 in
one location and for 85 pence in another.

Alys Katharine