[Sca-cooks] Pillsbury pie crust (was A small feast (long))

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 10:14:43 PST 2004

Funny thing, this morning I got a spam message
from Pillsbury, which I actually read instead of
deleting automatically.  It said that the new
pie crusts were in response to complaints about
the folds and the cracking caused by them.  A
problem that I had with them also until I
accidently left a package on by kitchen counter
and allowed it to come to room temperature.
When the fats in the crusts were allowed to
soften, they became easier to use and cracked
less.  The biggest problem with them was in
pre-baking the crusts before filling.  The old
version was very difficult to use in that
respect.

I almost always use my two 10" pie pans to make
pies.  I never have rolled out the old version
as there were only a little extra dough which I
folded over so that the edges were
extra-protected
from leaking, a problem that I have as I tend to
overfill my pies.  It will be interesting to see
this new product and how it works.  I hope that
now that I have solved my soggy-bottom piecrust
problem, I hope that I don't have to re-do all
my experiments again to find a new solution.
But since I have five of the old packages sitting
in my freezer, it will be a while before I will
need to purchase more, unless I get a coupon of
course.

Huette

--- a5foil <a5foil at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Huette scripsit:
>
> > Where do you live?  What changes have you
> noticed and in what way?
>
> I live in Richmond, VA. They have gone from
> folded (in a flat box) to rolled
> so there are no creases. It's actually a good
> idea, but the crust seemed
> much smaller than usual, and very fragile. I
> tend to use larger-than-average
> pie pans -- I have both 10" and 9" deep dish
> pans -- so I always end up
> rolling the crusts out a bit, and I usually
> have a few scraps left over.
> When I rolled the new crust out it seemed much
> thinner than usual, and it
> broke apart easily. I do have another box in
> the fridge, and will try again
> just in case I was having a bad day or
> something.
>
> Cynara