[Sca-cooks] Re: Larded Milk

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Wed Nov 3 11:23:20 PST 2004

Adamantius says:

> Whole eggs, sometimes with wine added. Probably a slightly higher
> proportion of egg than is represented in the posted adaptation.

Ah, so perhaps the original recipe wants the eggs to congeal more and the
cook to worry less about tempering them?  I can see how the eggs would still
need to be tempered and whisked in, or you just get a lump of scrambled eggs
in milk, but allowing the eggs to congeal everything would seem to work.
Then the "water" that runs off is really just the leftover milk/egg liquid
that didn't congeal rather than an actual whey...

Things to contemplate, though this suggests to me a rather "eggy" texture to
the finished dish, which puts it on my list of things I'm less likely to try
making and/or eating.  Don't like eggs, unless they're in chocolate cakes...

 -Helena