[Sca-cooks] Pillsbury pie crusts

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 08:48:56 PST 2004

--- rtanhil <rtanhil at fast.net> wrote:

> They are tasty, they are tender, they are nice! Eat them,
> eat them!
>
> Oops. Sorry. Wrong topic.
>
> Seriously, though, while I love the taste of pbpc, I don't
> use them for feasts. For 2 reasons.

Another reason you may wish to make 'pie crusts' by hand for period feasts is that there appears
to be a bit of evidence that the 'pie crusts' used in many of the extant recipes were not all that
flaky or tender to begin with.  It all depends on how authentic you want to be.  A crust used to
encase a rabbit (Hare Pie???), and take the shape of the original creature would need to be
sturdy.  A modern flaky pie crust may well crumble under its own weight if used in this manner.
There are those, like myself, who believe that some of these crusts were not even meant to be
eaten, but rather acted as sturdy little pastry ovens to help keep the contents moist and
protected from excessive heat.  When the dish was served, the crust was cut away and discarded.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.