[Sca-cooks] Herbs in Recipes

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Nov 4 16:20:46 PST 2004

> I asked for suggestions on our kingdom cooks guild e-mail list. One
> was to feature a specific herb at each competition. I think it sounds
> like a good idea, but i'm not convinced there are recipes in which a
> single herb is the primary flavoring. As far as i can recall, most
> "period" recipes have a mixture of herbs and spices, and don't
> feature the flavor of one in particular.

I think it depends on the recipe, but I'm not entirely sure that the
fact that certain herbs or spices are used over and over again in
combination with others should stop you from using them.

For instance: parsley recipes; recipes with sage; recipes with garlic;
recipes with cumin; galingale (not everything, after all, has
galingale)... or just 'the four horsemen: cinnamon, cloves, pepper,
ginger'

But here are some other ideas:

- A Salute to Salads
- Plethora of Pottages
- Herbs in Pottage: what can you do with it?
- Bruets, blancmanges, and other messes
- Not your usual roast (no plain chicken or plain roast beef allowed)
- Humorally correct Sauces (a sauce and a food that's humorally correct
to serve with it
- Bake-off
- Savory pies

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"In the clearing stands a boxer, A fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders Of every blow that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out, In his anger and his shame,
'I am leaving, I am leaving' But the fighter still remains."