[Sca-cooks] Herbs in Recipes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 4 16:03:11 PST 2004

I am Deputy and soon to-be Minister of the Silver Spoon, the person
in charge of cooking competitions in the Principality of the Mists in
the Kingdom of The West. We have four competitions per year, two at
camping events, two at indoor events.

I'm tossing around ideas for them. I'd like to decide soon, so i can
have them published in our Kingdom newsletter in time for the
December issue.

I asked for suggestions on our kingdom cooks guild e-mail list. One
was to feature a specific herb at each competition. I think it sounds
like a good idea, but i'm not convinced there are recipes in which a
single herb is the primary flavoring. As far as i can recall, most
"period" recipes have a mixture of herbs and spices, and don't
feature the flavor of one in particular.

Any pointers?

I am also open to other suggestions for competitions. There doesn't
need to be a consistent theme for the year, each can be different and
unrelated, but i think themes are fun.

We have kingdom level competitions (Wooden Spoon) six times a year
and i'm trying not to replicate those from the past several years.
And there's our friendly neighboring Principality of Cynagua, with
its cooking competitions (Copper Spoon) four times a year. Misties
and Cynaguans often attend and fully participate in each other's
events.

Thanks in advance,

Anahita