[Sca-cooks] cooking with Kasha

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 11:03:58 PST 2004

--- "Lonnie D. Harvel" <ldh at ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

> I have only seen buckwheat kasha, didn't know it came as other grains. I
> could use another gain, but don't know if I could find it.

Kasha is Buckwheat groats.  Other grains go by other names. I have never seen a 'wheat kasha' or
'rice kasha', etc...  only buckwehat kasha.

I just made a dish of kasha the other evening.  I cooked the kasha (2-to-1 ratio of water to
groats), cooled and fluffed it, drizzled it with olive oil, and then sauteed it (fried rice style)
with shallots, crushed coriander, garlic, long pepper, crushed cumin seed and chopped fresh mint.
A little coarse sea salt, as well.  It was quite good.

My suggestion for the herbs/seasonings for the beef and kasha soup would be:
Crushed coriander (not too much)
garlic
ground cumin (not too much...you don't want it to taste like chili)
long pepper
fresh cilantro (chopped and added at the very end.)
fresh Basil (chopped and added at the very end)

One thing to know about kasha is that it cooks very, very quickly, and does absorb a large amount
of liquid.  You may want to cook the kasha in a seperate pot (in stock), and add it just before
service time.  That way, you can put in only as much as you want, and will have complete control
over the thickness of your soup.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.