[Sca-cooks] cooking with kasha

BLorenz753 at aol.com BLorenz753 at aol.com
Fri Nov 5 11:14:15 PST 2004

Snipped . . . . . First, I put in what I thought to be a small amount, a
scant 1 cup, into
a soup that had about 2 1/2 quarts of liquid. Poof, instant porridge, or
something close to it. There was about 2 cups of free liquid after a 20
minute simmer. I expect the leftovers in the fridge will absorb it all
by morning.

I have found that toasting the kasha in butter or some other fat is a good
preparation for combining with soups and stews.  The "not quite right " flavor
may have been from "old" kasha.  Like other whole grain products it can
sometimes "go over" as my grandmother used to say . . . Good luck.
Bruce . .