[Sca-cooks] cooking with Kasha

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Fri Nov 5 12:26:38 PST 2004

At 08:41 AM 11/5/2004,Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise said something like:
>Ok, sounds like you are using buckwheat kasha. I'm wondering if you
>absolutely need to use buckwheat kasha, or would kasha (groats) made
>from some other grain, such as barley, rye, millet or wheat do more of
>what you had in mind?
>
>--
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

When we cooked kasha for Coronation last year we "diluted" the buckwheat
with bulgur wheat. You still got the distinctive taste of buckwheat, but
not quite so strongly.   When you put it into soup though, you may want to
consider putting in half the amount the recipe calls for.  Since you are
cooking in large quantities, it is all going to take longer to get done
anyways, and that grain product is going to keep going, and going, and
going, and going, so you'll need a smaller quantity to start with.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.