[Sca-cooks] Re: grain in milk dishes

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Nov 5 14:49:32 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> All you really need is a collar to get the pot a bit away from the heat-
> if
> you have a smith nearby, s/he can make you one. Where are you? I might
> know
> someone who'd do the job.
>
> What I want is a new stove.  ;>  But since that isn't happening any time
> soon, I'll see if I can find a flame tamer.  I live in Oklahoma, and I do
> know a blacksmith.  What do these things look like?  Or can I buy one
> online?
>
> -Magdalena

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodli.asp?Keywords=flame+tamer

But that's pretty expensive. All you really need, as I said, is a collar
that will hold your pot a bit up off the burner(s). All you need is metal
shaped into a circle that's larger than the burner and ring to set your pot
on so it's a bit off the burner, or you can ask a smith to make you a circle
of 1/4" X 3/4" bar stock. shaped _the hard way_ into a circle, to lay on the
burner. Another option is to take some heavy steel wire, shape it into a
star with a handle, and lay THAT on the burner with the pot on top. All
you're trying to do is put a small bit of space between the burner and the
pot.

Can you get attachments? If so, I'll draw you a picture of how you shape the
wire- it's something you can do with a pair of pliers and the usual cussing
;-) The light stuff that they use for the frames for political signs would
work fine. Copper would work too, but it's often hard to find heavy solid
copper wire.

You can just make do, as Brighid said, with a frying pan under your pot,
although as she said, I'm not sure how that will work on an electric stove.

Or Hel- send me your address and I'll make you one- it just occured to me
that I have a whole roll of heavy copper wire in the barn I got for almost
nothing. It'll likely take more time to figure out how to mail it, than to
make it. Are your burners the standard 6" and 7 1/2" used on most stoves?

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.