[Sca-cooks] usenet and google

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Fri Nov 5 14:56:01 PST 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Vincenzo commented:
> > ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > On the other hand, when I first found the Florilegium,
> > > I found that it had quite a number of my posts from the
> > > Rialto.  I had no idea that they had been archived.
> > >
> > > Ranvaig

> > All of USENET (newsgroups)) is indexed by Google, the
> > successor to DejaNews.  See http://www.google.com and
> > click "Groups"

> I don't think those archives go back as far as 1989 or so,
> which is when I started collecting messages for the
> Florilegium, then known as the "Rialto Files" or "Rialto
> archive".

You're right,

After the switchover from DejaNews to Google, I recall
reading that Google was making the entire Usenet archives
available.  Google Groups Advanced Search allows date
filtering between May 12, 1980 and the present.

Now I see that even though DejaNews was monitoring and
archiving Usenet from 1980 onwards, it was not capturing
all of the Newsgroups that were defined.

Thanks for correcting me.

> Someone was keeping an archive of all the messages from the
> Rialto but that archive was HUGH. The traffic on the Rialto
> was much, much higher than it is today. Finding the needles
> among that haystack would be rather difficult. Which is one
> reason I started saving selected messages.

... and you're doing a fine job.

Identifying topics, importance, editing, authenticating
(checking sources), even simple reformatting of messages can
turn out to be tasks that are a little beyond today's
software/hardware capabilities.

> Stefan

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick